Market and Re-Visits

Hii this is Jenn and Susy here! We are checking in and can't wait to tell you all about our wonderful day today! We first started off our morning with a integrating class session about our experiences over the weekend in the Arawak village of Moraikobai. This conversation was crucial for all of us, especially since it was focused around racial tensions within Guyana. These dynamics reflect strongly on the ways in which each of our group members experience each site and interactions with the people. We plan on continuing this conversation tomorrow with more thoughts and in-depth reflections!

After, we drove out to the The Palms: Geriatric Facility, where we explored and met with some familiar and new faces! I, Jenn, was able to go back and continue my conversation with a woman named Daughter. She is the most wonderful and warm woman I have ever encountered. On the first visit, I was unable to converse long because I met her at the end of the visiting hours. So, this time I literally sprinted to her ward (#7) just to make sure I could grab a seat with her! As soon as I walked up the squeaky stairs, I spotted her from across the room. Her eyes immediately sparkled, and I swear her smile reached the ends of the room and back! My heart filled with happiness as I wrapped my arms around her small but strong body. Daughter cannot walk due to her hypothyroidism, so I stayed by her side as we conversed. We continued our conversation from before, and we bounced around from topic to topic until we hit one that made both of us emotional. Somehow we graced along the topic of family, specifically parenthood and how influential parents can be. In short, with tears in our both of eyes,  we reflected on the influence of our parents and how much they shaped us into the humans we are today. I don't think I've ever reflected so deeply on my relationship with my parents and I will be forever grateful for the moments we had together.

Susy here again! So the first time we went to The Palms, I was a little uncomfortable, I'll be honest. I have found it much easier to connect with the kids at the orphanages, as we are closer in age and can relate on a more personal level. So the first time we went, I spent the first half of the time just walking around introducing myself to folks trying to find someone to connect with. After a little while of short conversations I decided to leave the ward and go out to the porch for some air. There I found a woman sitting by herself, so I went over and introduced myself. We began to talk and shared experiences and memories and we really got to know each other. So today, I was excited to return and see her again. I went out to the porch immediately after arriving and found her, Sheila, and another woman, Paula, sitting together on the porch. Paula remembered me from the last time we visited and immediately called me the chubby Brazilian girl. (No I am not Brazilian, but I am chubby, something that Guyanese are very comfortable talking openly about).We listened to music together and talked about everything from family to interests to my experiences in Guyana. She gave me her name and number and we decided to stay in touch and be pen pals! Overall, today I continued a friendship and created a new one and it not only made me feel happier but both of these women as well. They both explained that they didn't have any family and that no one comes to visit them so they don't have many people to just hangout with and chat.

After our time at The Palms, we came back home and enjoyed another wonderful lunch cooked by our host Anthony, and then headed over to a North Road strip where we did some shopping for handmade gifts. We were able to walk around and visit small vendors as well as visit a local grocery store where we tasted local snacks. After this we drove over to Sofia Public Orphanage to visit for the second time. Here we were given the biggest welcome yet as all of the kids crowded around us, re-introducing themselves and giving us hugs. Kimoi and Carlos bought a cricket set at the marketplace and gave it to the kids at the orphanage. The boys taught some of us how to play, while others played soccer and walked around. The kids seemed so grateful to have people just spending time with them, and they all had the biggest smiles we'd ever seen. It was sad to have to say goodbye, but refreshing to know that we will be able to visit one more time before we leave Guyana.

Lastly, tonight we were able to swim in the pool for a few hours which was refreshing, and then we enjoyed another great meal cooked by Anthony and Andrea. Tomorrow we look forward to more visits and to making memories that will hopefully stick with us for a lifetime. Thanks for reading! Jenn and Susy out! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ancient History and Exploration

Manatees and Mangos

What is the Guyana's Trip Course About?